Friday, April 12, 2013

Good Morning Day 9

Yesterday, in a word, sucked.  I woke up to dumping snow, I forgot to put a filter in the coffee pot, which resulted in a waterfall of java all over the counter, and I was still in a pretty foul mood from Wednesday evening's craptastic chicken dinner.  That was just the morning. 
Other highlights from the day:
meeting foster dogs (yes, we are getting a dog; the fence has been installed...now we search for a pooch)... one of which we really, really loved; but she shed a LOT in our short time together, setting off Elise's allergies with a vengeance.  The right dog will come, but the experience kind of sucked.
 
Getting nailed with an outrageously high bill from the IRS (start your own company...it'll be fun...NOT!!)
 
Our recycling bin, filled to overflowing, did not get emptied yesterday. Getting it down to the curb was a complete bee-atch of a task through the heavy wet snow that covered our driveway.  I got it down, and cleared a path between the street and the can.  Unbeknownst to me, city plows came through afterward and left a trail of nastiness, so our friendly recycling man decided not to empty it, I guess.  It would not be a big deal, but they only come every two weeks.  Did I mention it's overflowing???
 
A realization that it's coming time to make some difficult decisions concerning the hubs's business... not that the sky is falling, but it's possible we're coming to a crossroad, and we are crap, crap, crappity, crappy decision makers
 
After all this fun, we ended up at Good Day Cafe for dinner.  It's the home of one of my pre-whole30 faves...huevos rancheros, complete with forbidden beans, tortillas, and cheese.  We picked the place due to location, and I thought the menu would be fairly easy to navigate.  It wasn't impossible, but the problem was I probably should've eaten an hour earlier.  I was starving, Elise was being super crabby and difficult, and I just wanted my huevos rancheros and a beer, for cryin' out loud.   I ultimately ordered a fried egg sandwich, and didn't eat the bread.  It normally comes with potatoes (delicious potatoes, I might add), but the waiter said we could do roasted veggies.  Score.  I was already feeling very high maintenance, which I HATE, so I refused to go into the whole 'what oil is everything cooked in' routine.  So, there could've been some butter or canola oil involved.  I don't give a shit.  I still ate way healthier than I previously would've. 
 
Am I the queen of first world problems or what?????
 
To have gotten through the day and evening without falling off the wagon was ultimately pretty empowering, but the obstacles seemed pretty insurmountable there for awhile.  Chris and I both admitted (maybe that's not the right word), that part of the appeal of taking this on was that we both kind of enjoy a challenge (proof:  we have kids, we've run marathons, we're getting a dog).  We both had 'is this particular challenge worth it' moments yesterday. 
 
One of the upsides of all of this is that we've rediscovered tea.  After I got over my initial pissed offed-ness that so many brands have stevia or barley malt in them and found some compliant options, it's become a great evening wind-down.  The kids wanted to join in, so we've been having family tea time every evening at 8, and it's become one of my favorite parts of the day.  While we do frequently enjoy dinner together as a family, it does often become a harried event and less quality time than I'd like.  Tea time provides another opportunity for us to sit around the table and check in with one another.  I don't care who ya are... that's a good thing. 
 
I'll quit now while I'm on a positive note.  Below is a picture of this morning's breakfast.  Looks familiar, no??

No comments:

Post a Comment